Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary



After Sepilok, we then off to Labuk Bay to see the Proboscis monkey. Unlike the Orang Utan which can be found in Sumatera, Proboscis monkey (commonly known as Monyet Belanda or Bayau) is pretty exclusive because they can only be found on the island of Borneo! The sanctuary is situated at the centre of a mangrove forest along the coastal land near Samawang Village. Took us about an hour to reach the place from Sepilok. The sanctuary offers perfect Proboscis monkeys observation spot for anyone who wants to have a closer look at these very special monkeys. 


We were welcomed with a slightly terrifying act of one of the monkeys there who ran past us as if to attack someone. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Just like when we were in Sepilok it was exciting to see the monkeys up close in their natural habitat. These monkeys were beyond energetic. Lots of leaping from tree to tree.

"The leaping act is superb, fast, steady, stylish and perfect."
Source HERE

Completely different from the laid back Orang Utan. However, it is advisable not to try to touch them because you wouldn't want to get hurt. They may appear tame but bear in mind that these creatures are stronger than human.



Other than the Proboscis monkey you can also see other species of monkey at the sanctuary. We did see one but I don't know what its name. Also, if you're lucky you get the opportunity to see the hornbill. To be honest, I'm not so much into animals but I enjoyed myself during our visit to the sanctuary. Definitely worth the 15MYR.







After the road trip, I felt like I needed to know more about the Proboscis monkey and the work done at the sanctuary so I googled them. While at the sanctuary there is not much you can learn about this species of monkey as there is no explicit explanation given and not much information about the monkey being put up. I don't know if I mislooked on this and I hope that wasn't the case.

I personally think that visitor should have access to information about this monkey while at the sanctuary. There may be people who went there and know nothing what's so special about this type of monkey other than its features. Only after I googled for some information that I know that the male is always aroused. Yes, you heard it here first. Haha. 

I would suggest everyone to go and see this endangered species. For me it was very special to actually saw these monkeys up close. So go and see these monkeys.

To read more about the Proboscis monkey you should check out THIS website. 

Till then,

No comments: